Thursday, December 13, 2007

Art: a friend and a teammate

My best memories of Arthur in high school are of sitting together at lunch by the office. I remember him laughing w/ Aaron and the other guys as they talked about whatever it was that they talked about. I just remember him always smiling. We really did want to go see him perform in Paris. We just couldn't find the venue. =P

Art and Mike came to visit me once freshman year of college. It was time for me to do laundry so i had a canvas bag stuffed w/ laundry at the foot of my bed. All I really remember from that trip is that there wasn't much room for 2 extra people to sleep in that room Art went to sleep that night leaning against that bag!

Part of what makes Arthur special to me is that he brought me to LARD. After college, i was looking around for dragonboat teams in the area. I ended up at the LARD page and low and behold, i saw Arthur in one of the pictures. I couldn't believe it. I called him up and asked him to bring me the next time he went to practice. Arthur gladly obliged. Within a month, I had recruited Aaron to the team and the three of us carpooled each week down to Long Beach.

I remember that summer Arthur would sometimes come out with Aaron and I to go bike riding in the afternoons. Those were interesting days because Arthur was so much better on a bike than either Aaron or I. We were dying and Art hadn't even broken a sweat. His smiling face (the picture of him and the UHaul) was a real treat on the bike ride this year. It was my first ride and that was on a long empty stretch. I was so tired. It was nice to see a friendly and happy face encouraging you to keep going to the next rest point.

I'm really going to miss him but I'm sure he'll always be smiling down on us and encouraging us to keep going.

Jessica Lee

No comments: